This is offered as a brief outline of what your pet
pig needs to live happily in your home. There
are several good books and manuals available
to you that expand these recommendations.
Please seek out advice from your breeder and
other sources of information as you continue to
live with your pig.
To help your potbellied pig
live a long and healthy life; the following are
- Provide your pet pig a sleeping area free
from drafts with a bed or pillow or blankets in
which to snuggle.
- Provide your pet pig a fenced area to protect
her from dog attacks. Your pig, no matter
what her age, has no defense against dog
- Provide your pet pig with:
- Summer: shelter, shade, sunscreen, and
fresh water to drink Don't forget water in
which the pig can cool off (like using a child's
- Winter: shelter and bedding, fresh water to
drink, supplemental heat and bedding when
the temperature is under 50-degrees.
- Provide your pet pig with a reasonable
environment by not leaving her in a car when
the outside temperature is above 50 degrees
or the car is sitting in the full sun.
- Provide your pet pig with no more than a
monthly shampoo. Toomuch"shampooing or
using dog, cat, or baby shampoo will cause
your pig to have drier skin.
- Provide your pet pig with a moisturizer or
humectant for her dry skin. If needed, you
can treat internally by adding either fatty
acids or a daily tablespoon of a natural oil to
her food, or supply a Vitamin Ecapsule every
- Provide your pet pig with a monthly beauty
- Clean your pig's ears and treat for ear
.- mites, if necessary.
- Trimyour pig's hooves.
- Have the vet trim your pig's tusks, if needed.
- Assume your pet pig can survive without the pr()per inside and outside living conditions.
- Assume your pet pig -can ward off dog attacks.
- Assume your pet pig can survive in extreme cold or heat.
- Assume your pet pig cali survive in a car, even with the windows open, when the temperature is above 50 degrees.
- Assume your pet pig. cannot be over shampooed.
- Assume your pet pig does not- need to be groomed on a regular basis.
- Assume your pet pig needs to be rubbed with oils to maintain less dry skin.
- Assume your pet pig does not need her ears cleaned, hooves trimmed, and tusks cut. Bnxhure 08 Back
By caring for your pig's environmental and
grooming needs, you assure yourself of giving
your potbellied pig the necessary living
conditions for a healthy life. With the monthly
beauty checks, you provide yourself an
opportunity to identify and to ward off a
potential health problem for your pet.
Web site design by Zach King, King of All Trades Design